Apr 5, 2026

Being an archeologist.

Lately, I’ve been something of an archeologist which has been something…

See what happened is this, I bought an iMac in 2008 that was my main machine and then I milked that sucker for all it was worth. Around 2014, I went out and purchased a PowerbookPro. I did that because there was someone I was working with at the time, a friend (who I had a falling out with of all things) that had talked about working together and me needing a laptop. Then, in 2021 I think, I went out and got myself a M1 iMac.

Understand, I really do get every last bit that I can out of any hardware I buy. Some people are out there buying each new piece of equipment as it rolls out but I’ve never done that.

At some point, the iMac from 2008 died… what had happened was that the internal drive gave up the ghost and I went out an got myself a SSD drive for the thing. I pulled the drive from the iMac and managed to throw it in a case and get all my data off the thing.

Since the iMac died, the laptop became my go to machine but I never really set it up the way I had the old iMac set up. I didn’t get email setup on it with Apple mail and all my different email accounts so that meant I had no access to all those old emails. I never set up Apple mail on the laptop.

Years rolled by and I just plodded along. I got the M1 iMac and that even sat around for over a year still in the box. I mean I paid the thing off before I even hooked it up. Last year, I managed to scrounge up some freelance work and the fact of the matter was that the programs the client was doing the work in wouldn’t run on the laptop so it meant I had to get the M1 going.

So, I got the thing set up and then I wound up shifting over to it because I had four external drives anyway. There came a point where it became clear I needed to replace the battery on the laptop. I managed to get that done but then something happened with the keyboard and the backlit aspect of it meaning more work so that was that. I mean the laptop worked it was just that the keyboard on it didn’t work and I found that frustrating as hell.

So everything shifted over to the M. Last year, I plunked down money on a big SSD and in the last week or two I’ve been consolidating all the external drives and volumes onto the single SSD. At the same time it means that I’ve finally gotten my music library set up on the M1 and I’ve also gotten Apple Mail setup too.

There is literally a ton of shit to go through but seriously there are some emails I’m glad to find because the people who sent them are gone! Also, it’s nice to finally be able to access my music library again and now it’s a question of cleaning up my desk and labeling the drives and their cases as I wipe them so I can use them in the future.

The funny thing here is that I don’t feel as if I’ve accomplished anything but it really is something of a big deal. 

No comments: